The UK version of BritBox, the streaming service from ITV and the BBC, is available on a long list of devices – but some are still glaringly missing. Today, finally, one popular Freeview box is getting a BritBox app – the Manhattan T3-R.
BritBox is a subscription TV service that offers a library of past and current British TV programmes, as well as classic British films from ITV, the BBC, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
The service costs £5.99/month, and you can currently get a 30-days free trial (See our full BritBox UK review here).
Two of BritBox’ main selling points this year, were the new episodes of the rebooted Spitting Image, which were exclusive to BritBox, as well as 600+ episodes of the classic Doctor Who.
BritBox launched in the UK last year (there’s also a different American version), on a limited number of streaming devices. Since then, availability has grown, and the service is now available on most of the major streaming devices in the UK, except for a few major omissions, such as the Roku players.
The new Humax Aura Freeview box, which was released last month, supports BritBox indirectly through its Chromecast support – but there’s no native app.
So starting this week, without waiting for a Freeview Play app, Freeview viewers who use the Manhattan T3-R box will finally get a BritBox app – thanks to the T3-R’s new Version 2.0 update.
The Manhattan TV Freeview boxes are among the best in the market these days (with the Manhattan T3-R being our Editor’s Choice).
This week, a new software version was released for the T3-R – which brought with it the much-requested BritBox app.
To get BritBox on the T3-R, you first need to make sure you update to Version 2.
Then, with your box connected to the internet, you can run the app and either register for a 30-days free trial (if you’re a new user), or sign in with your existing credentials.
At this point, BritBox is available on the following devices in the UK:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV (4th generation and above)
- Google Chromecast
- Manhattan T3-R Freeview Box
- Netgem 4K Box
- Samsung Smart TVs (2016 and onwards models)
- Panasonic Smart TVs (CX, DX, EX, EZ, FZ, GZ, HZ, FX700 & above, GX800 & above, HX800 & above)
- TVs Using The Vestel Platform (2017 and onwards – Toshiba, JVC, HITACHI, Bush, Digihome, Finlux, Logik, Luxor, Polaroid, Techwood)
- Sony TVs (2020 YouView models)
- Freesat (New 4K Boxes only)
- YouView (2014 and onwards devices)
- Smartphone/Tablet Apps (both iOS and Android)
- On the web (via your browser)
The Manhattan T3, which is a cheaper Freeview Play box that doesn’t have recording capabilities, is also set to get a Version 2 update soon – which will bring with it the BritBox app as well.
- The Manhattan T3-R is available to purchase on Amazon.