TV cord cutters in the UK don’t have too many options when it comes to sports – but starting today, there’s an interesting cheap new offer from NOW TV: A Sky Sports mobile subscription, priced at only £5.99/month. The catch? You can only watch it on a mobile device, and there are only 4 Sky Sports channels (as opposed to 10 on NOW TV’s other Sky Sports packs).
Normally, the NOW TV Sky Sports Pass can be subscribed to with either a Day Pass, a Week Pass or a Month Pass, for these prices:
- NOW TV Sky Sports Daily Pass – £7.99
- NOW TV Sky Sports Weekly Pass – £12.99
- NOW TV Sky Sports Monthly Pass – £33.99
As you can see, the new Sky Sports Mobile pass is considerably cheaper at £5.99/month. However, you won’t be able to watch it on your telly – it only works on smartphones (iOS and Android), with the NOW TV app. And although you can register up to 4 devices, you can only stream to one of them at a time.
The Sky Sports Mobile Month Pass includes 4 Sky Sports channels:
- Sky Sports Premier League – The home of 126 live Premier League games a season.
- Sky Sports Action & Sky Sports Arena – Two channels showcasing a selection of sports, including Rugby Union, Rugby League, Boxing, NFL, Darts and WWE
- Sky Sports News – A 24-hour sports news channel, focusing on football.
6 sports channels from the “full” pack are not included: Sky Sports Main Event, Sky Sports Football, Sky Sports Cricket, Sky Sports Golf, Sky Sports F1 and Sky Sports Mix. (See my full NOW TV review here)
The Alternative Sports Channels
As mentioned, there aren’t many other TV sports options out there. You can see some sporting events on the BBC and some of the other Freeview channels. Plus, you can subscribe to Eurosport (for £4.99/month as of this writing) via the Amazon Channels service.
Also note that as of this writing, NOW TV is offering the Sky Sports Mobile Month pass for free – if you buy one of the other Sports passes that are on offer. Check it out here.